Saturday, August 29, 2009

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

I found this book to be extremely disappointing in the end. I read Mystic River a few years ago and loved it, so I was surprised when I read “Shutter Island” and found it to be the complete opposite. This book was a definite let down. The book was well written, well plotted, and full of guessing and suspense up to the last 50 pages or so. Lehane takes the easy way out and ends on something similar to the old “and then he woke up for that really bad dream and lived happily ever after” which I feel is the ultimate slap in the face to the reader. The worst part was, it wasn’t even that surprising because about halfway through you realize something isn’t right and the back of the book even alludes to it. Even though it was only the ending that did the damage, it reflects poorly on the book as a whole because the reader walks away unsatisfied and unfulfilled. Anyone can create the beginning of a great plot, it’s tying up the ends and delivering the end that is the real trick, and Lehane fails to do this. I know the movie is coming out in the fall and I am hoping it isn’t a let down as well. I would not recommend this book to anyone because there is nothing more disappointing than putting time into reading a book only to realize the author didn’t put that same time into writing it. Thumbs down.

Rating 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment