Thursday, August 19, 2010

Review: The Comfort Table by Katie Lee


    I spent the Canada Day long weekend this summer at the cottage looking through cook books… Why am I telling you this? Well, I always love trying new recipes and flipping through my cookbooks up there because I have the energy (and the time!) to try new recipes and to perfect old favourites. I also realized that I always seem to be reviewing novels here on my blog and never any non-fiction that I read including cookbooks. I know it’s not the same kind of reading but cookbook reviews can be just as (it not more) useful than novel reviews. No one cares about my opinion of books, but I can sure help save you 30 or so bucks on warning you about bad cookbooks (and also encourage you to spend your money on the good ones!).  So I have made a decision to start sharing my favourite cookbooks with you as well. So if you don’t like cooking, just ignore those bits. But if you are like me and have a bookshelf in your kitchen dedicated only to cookbooks (No joke… See photo!) then you have come to the right place. I am going to start with one of my favourite cookbooks called “The Comfort Table” by Katie Lee.




     There are many reasons this cookbook is on my list of favourites. Not only are the recipes delicious, but she hits all seasons and events (major and mundane), and she also focuses on whole food ingredients. If you are anything like me, you would be disgusted to open a cookbook that calls for a can of Campbell’s soup or Kraft Macaroni and Cheese as ingredients to a recipe. Bleh. Yuck!

     The other super cool thing about this cookbook is that for every occasion she puts together a meal rather than just one recipe. She also suggests a drink recipe and a play list of songs that fit the occasion. A lot of recipes have beautiful photos to entice you (and to make sure what you made looks somewhat correct). The occasions/events range from “Breakfast with Friends” to “Romantic Dinner for Two” to “Chinese New Year”. You can also just pick individual recipes to make one at a time. I recommend the “Rustic Apple Pie” or “Dijon Brussel Sprouts”!

     This cookbook is a must have for entertainers, potluckers, and lonely chefs alike. While some of the recipes do require some cooking experience, nothing is overly complicated that after a few tries anyone couldn’t figure it out. But lookout… It is definitely not a weight loss cookbook! The Comfort table is suitable only for those who love decadent and delicious meals!


Book Information
Title: The Comfort Table
Author: Katie Lee
Year of publication: 2009
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Purchased at: Indigo Bay & Bloor
Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment